Approved September 2015
- THE WORD OF GOD – We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, fully inspired and without error in the original writings, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct. (II Timothy 3:16,17; II Peter 1:20-21)
- THE TRINITY – We believe in the one true God (Deuteronomy 6:4), eternally existing in three persons: Father (1 Peter 1:2), Son (Hebrews 1:8), and Holy Spirit (Acts 5:3,4). The three members of the one Godhead have precisely the same nature and attributes. They execute distinct but harmonious offices such as the work of creation, providence, and redemption.
- GOD THE FATHER – We believe in God the Father, an infinite, personal spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love. We believe that he concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men, that He hears and answers prayer, and that He saves from the penalty of sin all who come to Him through faith in Jesus Christ. (Deuteronomy 32:4; I Timothy 2:5)
- JESUS CHRIST – We believe in the eternal existence of Jesus Christ, God’s only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe that He is fully God and fully man (Philippians 2:5-8). We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings. We believe in His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people, and personal visible return to earth. (John 3:16; Matthew 1:18-23; Matthew 3:17; Hebrews 9:28)
- THE HOLY SPIRIT – We believe in the person of the Holy Spirit who was sent forth by the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment and to regenerate, sanctify, and empower all who believe in Jesus Christ. We believe that the baptism of the Holy Spirit occurs at the moment of salvation and indwells every believer in Christ, and that He is an abiding helper, teacher and guide. We believe that the Holy Spirit gives the believer the power that is needed to live a godly life and that it is our duty and privilege to be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18; John 16:7-14; I Corinthians 12:13)
- SALVATION – We believe that all are sinners by nature and choice (Romans 5:12) and under the condemnation of God before salvation (John 3:36). Salvation is based upon the sovereign grace of God, and was purchased by Christ upon the cross, and is received by man through faith, apart from any human merit, works, or ritual (Romans 3:24; Ephesians 2:8). Salvation includes the truths of regeneration (John 3:3), faith (Hebrews 11:6), repentance (Acts 20:21), justification (Acts 13:39), and adoption (I John 3:1).
- SANCTIFICATION – We believe God sanctifies (‘sets apart from sin’) His people progressively in this life and complete when we are with Christ bodily (I Corinthians 1:30; Romans 7:15-25; I John 3:2). We believe that the believer has two natures, an old nature received when he is conceived physically (Psalms 51:5) and a new nature when he is born again spiritually (John 3:7-18) and that he cannot attain sinless perfection here on earth. The Christian life is a moment-by-moment walk of faith and victory only as the Holy Spirit reproduces the life of Christ through us (Galatians 5:16).
- ETERNAL SECURITY – We believe in the perseverance of the saints and that God’s people are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation (John 10:27,28). A Christians’ sin (I John 1:8) results in his losing fellowship with God but not his eternal relationship (Romans 8:1). God will forgive the confessed and forsaken sin of His people (Psalm 37:23,24; I John 1:9). The genuine Christian will experience God’s chastisement (Hebrews 12:6-8).
- THE RETURN OF CHRIST AND ETERNITY – We believe in the literal and personal return of Jesus Christ – The “blessed hope” for which we are to look and which may occur at any time (Titus 2:13). At His return, Christians will be taken to be with Him (I Thessalonians 4:13-18). After conflict on earth Christ will ultimately complete His defeat of Satan (who is the Devil – Revelation 20:3), begin His visible reign and judge the dead (Revelation 19 and 20:11-15). Heaven is the eternal home of the Christian – a place of righteousness, reward and perfection (Revelation 21 and 22). Hell is the eternal destiny of the unsaved – a place of torment, darkness and fire (Revelation 20:14-15).
- THE CHURCH – We believe in the universal church, a living spiritual body of which Christ is the head and regenerated persons are members. We believe in the local church, consisting of a company of believers in Jesus Christ, baptized following a credible profession of faith, and associating to edify the believer through worship, work, fellowship and instruction. We believe that God has laid upon the members of the local church the primary task of giving the gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost world. (Ephesians 5:25-27; II Corinthians 5:18).
- THE ORDINANCES – We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has committed two ordinances to the local church: baptism and the Lord’s supper. We believe that Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water in the name of the Triune God (Matthew 28:19-20). We believe that the Lord’s Supper was instituted by Christ for commemoration of His death. We believe that these two ordinances should be observed and administered until the return of the Lord Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 11:23-29).
- CHRISTIAN CONDUCT – We believe a Christian should live distinctly as a new creation in Christ. A true Christian will desire that God be glorified and mankind helped. We believe in being stewards of our time, talent, and treasures and dedicating ourselves to God and His concerns (Romans 12:1,2).
- MARRIAGE, GENDER AND SEXUALITY – We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God (Gen. 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one biological man and one biological woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture (Gen. 2:18-25). We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a biological man and a biological woman who are married to each other (1 Cor. 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb. 13:4). We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage.
We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God (Matt. 15:18-20; 1 Cor. 6:9-10).
We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of Faith Baptist Church as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to our church members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by Faith Baptist Church in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, or who join as members, agree to and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality (Matt. 5:16; Phil. 2:14-16; 1 Thess. 5:22).
We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21; Rom. 10:9-10; 1 Cor. 6:9-11).
We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of Faith Baptist Church.
- SANCTITY OF HUMAN LIFE – We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life. (Ps 139.)
- RELIGIOUS LIBERTY – We believe every human being is accountable to God (Ezekiel 18:4; Romans 14:12) and ultimately to God and His Word alone in all matters of faith. We believe each local body of Christ must be free from wrong interference by ecclesiastical or political authority and the church and state are to fulfill their duties as ordained by God (Romans 13:1-7).
- CHURCH COOPERATION – We believe that the local churches can best promote the cause of Christ by cooperating with one another in a fellowship of churches of like faith and practice — an organization, whether a national or district conference, that exists and functions by the will of the churches. Cooperation in a conference, fellowship or association is voluntary and may be terminated at any time.
- FINAL AUTHORITY CONCERNING MATTERS OF FAITH AND PRACTICE – The statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of Faith Baptist Church’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our full-time pastors in conjunction with the church board is Faith Baptist Church’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.
- CONCLUSION – We believe in doing something about the above. We not only believe that this body of doctrine is a sacred trust to be preserved and taught in its purity, but we also believe that it teaches a life to be lived and a Gospel to be preached.